Many are interested to study in Japan, but are not too sure how or where to start.

The 2 main types courses most schools offer are:

  • Long-term Course
  • Short-term Course

What are the Differences?

Long-Term Course

Long-term Courses would usually be 6 months and longer. Those who would like to take up long-term courses are required to apply for student visa prior to leaving for Japan.

Though it may vary from one school to another, It is important to note that the application period would close about 5-6 months before the start of the intake. For example, if you would like to apply for the April 2020 intake, it is likely that you need to submit all your documents by the end of October 2019.

In general, those with student visas are allowed to work up till 28 hours a week. They may also be allowed to work longer hours during summer holidays.

Short-term Course

Short-term Courses are usually between 1 week to 3 months. Student visas would not be required and those who would like to take up short-term courses will go to Japan using tourist visas.

Malaysians are allowed to stay in Japan for up to 90 days under the tourist visa.

It is important to note that those under tourist visas are not allowed to work part-time in Japan.